Donnerstag, 17. März 2011

Well-being doesn't imply perfection

Top Blogs 

In my work as a Reconnective Healing Practitioner I have the blessing to assist people both with physical and emotional problems. Reconnective Healing, as the name implies, is about healing and not fighting symptoms. Now, I haven't exactly been the healer type from the day I set foot on this planet. On the contrary, I first had to study physical therapy to recognize that there is something seriously wrong with the definition of healing and well-being.







The goal of every therapist is to rid people of a problem and the expectations of patients run along the same lines. In fact, unless a therapist is able to free his patient from the physical or emotional burden, he most likely isn't considered a great therapist. As for the therapist himself, he won't really care too much since he can lean on the diagnosis which may have predicted that a healing isn't possible in the first place. I played that game for a while - to be more precise only because I had to in my training. I was working with people who didn't even know why they ended up on my massage table leaving alone the fact that many of them weren't willing to change anything about the way they thought and lived. Being a student of physical therapy at the time I did what most therapists would do: I tried to alleviate the symptoms of the patient. Very aware that the cause of a physical symptom hardly ever lies in the physical, I reached out and started treating people more holistically. Some of my patients got better and others didn't.

Unlike many of my peers, I've always believed that any illness can be healed though at the same time being aware that there's no guarantee it will always happen. Once I started working with Reconnective Healing, it became clear to me that well-being doesn't imply perfection.
 
Let me explain. Contrary to popular belief, somebody can feel VERY well even though his body may show an altogether different picture. Now before we move on, let me be clear about one thing: I am not talking about the common excuse of overweight people who make you want to believe that they feel just wonderful in their super-sized bodies. No, I am talking about genuine acceptance of one's circumstances, which implies that you are no longer obsessed with trying to change the situation nor being depressed because you feel that you can't change the situation. That's a VERY fine line that makes the difference.

Well-being means, that you are truly content with yourself and your life whether or not things look perfect on the outside. In other words, if you suffer from a physical problem, let's just say a heart disease, the difference between experiencing disease and well-being isn't dependent on the state of your heart, but whether or not you experience any kind of stress, such as fear because of the state of your heart. If you are worried and run to the doctor to get some medicine, it may seem - or even show on the screen - that your heart problem is fixed. In other words, you may think that you had shifted from disease to well-being. The worry however hasn't automatically disappeared just because your doctor has put a large band-aid on your bleeding heart.










If however, you let go of the worry - which believe me didn't show up as a result of your heart disease but rather contributed to your heart disease long before it was diagnosed - you would automatically shift from a state of disease to a state of well-being regardless of whether or not the diagnosis has changed.

Well-being doesn't imply physiological perfection, but well-being ALWAYS requires your acceptance of what is.

Here is a recipe I have used to get in a state of acceptance other than working with Reconnective Healing:

Ask yourself: "Could I welcome this situation/symptom/or whatever it is  you are struggling with?"

Sounds simplistic and it is, but do not underestimate the power of it!

__________________________________________________________
Visit http://www.lukastobler.com to download a free copy of my ebook "5 easy steps to feel good" today.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen